Tuesday 10 March 2009

Rant

There's a great bit in Nigel Planer's book "I, An Actor" (written in the luvvie persona of Nicholas Craig) where he complains about an actor's lot - it goes something like "...and here's muggins, me, and at the front of the queue yet again for another portion of shit cassoulet". Moments like that are mercifully rare, but I had one today.

Everyone else has been asked, unbidden, to castings for a German Yellow Pages commercial, and it pays a bloody fortune. I confess it was all I could do not to stamp my foot in rage at the sheer injustice of it, and it was only the fact that I want the others to do well that made it even slightly bearable. Sheeeesh.

I guess the shoe's on the other foot, though. I had a casting myself last week, for a eLearning video. As soon as I saw the breakdown, I thought "Nivea Man" - in other words they want that bloke who advertises razors, deodorant or whatever. Definitely not me. "You go, but you know" as I generally say to myself. And so it was. I expect Mr Chiselled will be filming it about now, if he can squeeze it in between his Handsome Lessons.

Rant over.

2 comments:

AliCoul said...

Honey, we watched something the other night (on Viscount Hervey, father of Victoria and Isabella) where you would have been a ZILLION times better-cast than the bloke they had doing the "flashback" scenes. Both Neil and I thought so, anyway :-) x

Steve Dineen said...

Haha! I bet Nivea Man played it it. But bless you for letting me know. I am entirely recovered now and love the world again. x