Sunday 9 August 2009

Off Air

Last time I was interviewed live was on BBC Radio Solent during Abigail's Party - with Paula Jennings and Helen Johns. One of the benefits of doing live radio as part of a cast is the thinking time you get - I remember doing most of the talking, but it was pithy and quite interesting, and anyway, you can bang on about that play until the cows come home.
On your own is a different matter entirely.
I found it disturbing that the conversation was repeatedly being brought back to my life story - I suppose one has a natural aversion to boring people about that subject. But of course that was the entire point of the interview. Jo Thoenes stuck to her subject, too, and there was no obvious segue into future projects, for example, and I only mentioned Chalky and "Chop" right at the end.
What's hilarious, though, is the way I sound. Sort of chubby and rotund and chuckly, not how I imagined. Whereas Chalky sounded light and intense, not the big bear character he is in the flesh at all.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I feel like I've become a bit of a Fozzy!

Steve Dineen said...

I'd have to see you in the hat! He is a stand-up, after all...!

Anonymous said...

I missed this altogether by virtue of being over here in the US, but - late in the day - I can tell you that someone once told me that no one likes the way they sound on radio: everyone comes out sounding different from the way they sound from inside their own head. I always sound horribly surprisingly nasal...