Friday 10 September 2010

Post in Haste

God - the days are just tearing by. Which is why I find myself sitting at the kitchen table writing a post at midnight whilst lovely partner and MiniDineens are in the land of nod. My call's at 9.30am so this will have to be quick.
Spent a lot of time with my trousers round my ankles today, trying to perfect the art of clumsily dressing under a towel. I manage to do this with adequate clumsiness on a daily basis - heaven only knows why it's so difficult in rehearsal. The speed of the action in this show is just becoming apparent, and Dan (Gratin) and and Pete (Ballard) now resemble obsessive-compulsive furniture movers, as they create the scenes seamlessly whilst Sophia (Madeleine) and I drift about in them, occasionally jumping into taxis made of armchairs or strolling behind trees made of actors. All this and they also have huge speeches and many, many characters. Yikes.
One creative dude I haven't mentioned is Ivan Stott, who's our MD and who spends his day watching us intently (even when we're messing around) and furiously tapping away at some complicated electronics. Every now and then, he'll stop everything and fill the hall with some haunting melody which instantly adds colour and depth and sometimes foreboding to the scene you are playing. I've never seen this approach before, and it's so present, so beautifully tailored to the developing of the show that the end product will be astonishing.
Jo, the marketing guru, took some rehearsal shots today, so Karen drifted onto stage rather more than she normally would(!) and we all struck some creative and thoughtful poses. At least I hope so - some of my lines are so elusive that my face probably looks like a poster for "The Agony and the Ecstasy".
Up at the coal-face again first thing - Gevigne/Roger scenes. Speak soon.    

No comments: