Tuesday 14 April 2009

BA Heaven

I flew back to the UK at the weekend again for 24 hours or so. Since the early Sunday a.m. Ryanair flight seems to have been discontinued I was forced, forced to fly with BA for hardly any more money.
What is it about BA? There's this effortless ease, boundless confidence about what they do. The cabin crew are grown-ups and give straight answers. You get food and drinks. You can check in online and choose your seat (why the hell can't Ryanair and Sleazyjet do that?). And we arrived 25 minutes early. How on earth you shave 25 minutes off a 70 minute flight I can't begin to guess.
Anyway, my gorgeous kids seemed to remember vaguely who I am, and I cooked dinner for my lovely wife - well, having missed almost all the previous 9 weeks' cooking, cleaning and childcare it seemed fair. It's that spirit of give and take which keeps a marriage fresh, I find.
And then back on the coach to Stansted for a Ryanair flight back - of which I shall say only one thing. The cabin crew on a BA flight would never, never make disparaging comments out loud about the pilot's skills to passengers, no matter how bumpy the landing. Shame on you, Susanna the Purser.

2 comments:

RichChat said...

Hear, hear. BA are brilliant at providing what we marketing types call an "integrated brand experience". Or, what used to be called "good customer service"...

Of course, you could argue that Easyjet also provide an integrated brand experience. It's just that their brand values happen to be rudeness, lateness and treating humans like cattle.

You know why they started charging for drinks on Easyjet? It's so they can remove one of the loos and chuck 6 more seats in. True story.

And don't get me started on Ryanair...

Steve Dineen said...

Love it. You should write to Easyjet and suggest that they might like to rethink those brand core objectives. I mean, do they just not care, or what? I suppose not. Every flight is rammed full (same with Ryanair) and the price point seems to be something that people seem to be prepared to sacrifice a great deal for. Like luggage. I can talk. I've flown 4 times with Ryanair and 3 with Easyjet in the last 9 weeks.