Friday 23 September 2011

Evelyn, not Madeleine...

I'm sure there are many remarkable things about Huddersfield, but for me the stand-out one is the discovery of a high-street Wimpy restaurant - a brand I thought had gone out of business years ago. I wouldn't have exactly mourned it's passing if it had, but when I was 11 and touring with "Every Good Boy..." I ate a dessert called a Brown Derby in the Bath Wimpy with my chaperone, Evelyn Maddock, and I can still remember how it tasted now
Evelyn had been a classics teacher at an all-girls school, and was not perhaps a natural choice for the job. She'd never had to look after a boy, for one thing. But she was a star, patiently dealing with my swollen head, teaching me for the sparse few hours the government insisted an 11-year old needed and then taking me all over the place to country houses, where I learned important things - like how to recognise Grinling Gibbons carving and how to tell Sevres from Limoges.
For a kid that age, going on tour was about the most exciting thing that could possibly have happened, but of course I can remember only snatches now. Getting caught smoking by Yannis Daras, the conductor; locking myself out of my hotel room about 10 times in Harlow; getting them to open the Ghost Train for me on Brighton Pier; and a ring doughnut covered with ice cream and topped with chocolate sauce and nuts. So in memory of EGBDF, Evelyn Maddock and the Brown Derby, here is Huddersfield's most significant landmark:

No comments: