Sunday 18 September 2011

Lindisfarne

When I visited Coleraine in 2008, for some inexplicable reason we thought that going to a shopping mall was a better use of our time than visiting the Giant's Causeway. This is a decision I've always regretted, but despite being fully aware of this I am on the cusp of doing it again when Lindisfarne is mooted. I realise that the root of that choice was probably the same as this time; a jaded head full of wine, beer and Jagermeister.
It's only a short drive though, and I don't think anyone notices my twitching hands and grey complexion. And if there's a better hangover cure than a wet gale on a blasted North-Eastern island I've yet to discover it.
Once we've breakfasted on fantastic sausage sandwiches and great coffee we tackle St. Aidan's Church where there's this amazing sculpture of the Lindisfarne monks taking the remains of St Cuthbert to Durham. Oddly enough we've seen a replica of this piece in the piazza in front of the Gala Theatre.
 Later, when we're battling our way against the elements to the castle itself, I'm delighted to see there's enough  3G signal for me to check in at Lindisfarne on Facebook. Feels like sending an email in the Middle Ages.

No comments: