Thursday 8 May 2008

Aftermath

The next morning, with a clear chest X-ray, ECG and blood tests to my name, Michael calls to check I'm OK. Maria called him just before she and Alex came to relieve Anna at A&E the previous night, and, aside from his obvious concern, he needs to know my condition and whether I'll be fit for tonight. I feel better than I've felt for a while, so for me the question hasn't even arisen, but I'm in sweet ignorance of what's happened.

There was press in last night, and the incident's all over the papers. My first sight of it is the billboard outside the newsagents, but it's hit the Scotsman, Daily Record and even The Stage. What's heartwarming, though, is the number of audience members who've called to find out how I am, and, subsequently, the number of good wishes posted on the papers' websites. Of course, the story has long since outstripped the reality and I never really get a chance to correct it, but by that time I'm thinking "Enough now." And I'm sure, so are you.

2 comments:

Vespertina Quies said...

I would have to say my favorite headline is "Dineen collapses on stage" from The Stage. You're famous enough to be known surname only!

I'm really really glad you're all right. Be careful at least until July 7, please.

Steve Dineen said...

Ha ha! I read that and thought immediately of being referred to by my surname at school. Like "Dineen, please desist from faking a heart attack and complete the quadratic equation on the board".