Friday 9 May 2008

Time Out

Laurence is an oddity in "Abigail's Party" because he's the only character who's offstage for any significant period of time - about 24 minutes, in fact. Of course, this happens in other shows but nearly half-an-hour is a very long time in dramatic terms, and it presents problems. Firstly, what do you do during your time off?

The textbook "method" answer is to remain in character for the whole 24 mins, and to experience the emotions and other hoo-hah that Laurence does. I bet of you asked Gary Oldman or Daniel Day-Lewis they'd say that.
The Coarse Acting* answer is to go next door to The Eight Bells or wherever, and spend the time a little more productively - 24 minutes is probably enough time for two pints of Beamish. I know a number of, let's say, vintage actors who would recommend that option.
I normally read the paper, eat some bitter chocolate or practise saying the word "Clittingham" if I've muffed it in the first section (see posts passim).

Secondly, what do you do when you re-enter? No divided opinion on this one: go in and draw as much attention to yourself as possible to remind the audience who you are, because they are fantastically fickle and will have forgotten all about you after a few seconds. This especially applies if you have a false entrance like I do (i.e. one where you exit again immediately). So double-takes, mouthing swear words and engineered pratfalls are all permitted. They'll remember you then...

I've just discovered that 24 mins is the optimum time for writing a blog post!

*The Art of Coarse Acting is an invaluable manual by Michael Green and is, some say, required reading at Central.

2 comments:

Benjamin said...

I've just gone to do an update on the LCT site & read your news. After gasping outloud MC gave me the link to this site. I read the news and had 3 thoughts…

1) Thank God you’re ok. (I know you don't believe in God but as I do I've thanked Him for you!) 2) What an amazing story... that will serve you well for many a tour! 3) You got in The Scotsman!!

The blog is brilliant by the way. Loads of love... BW (Tone)

Steve Dineen said...

Aaaaawww. You lovely man. To my shame I offered up a silent prayer myself, so I am now wrestling with myself religiously.
Still hoping to see "Spies" but time is running out!
Big hug, Original Tone xx