Friday 16 May 2008

Calls to Order

We've just done our second show in Hereford, and we've had yet another debacle over the curtain call. I had to almost lift Kirkie (Sue) back onto the stage for a third set of bows, and this got so confused that we ended up all in the wrong order - reading R-L as you look at the stage it was me, Kirkie, Jamie, Alice and Amy. So Jamie led the bows and had his "moment in the sun" as Alice called it (tiny diva poking out there?).

The curtain call is our bete noir. We've had audiences up and down the country wildly applauding for a third bow that we've failed to go on for (so they think we're snotty), and very occasionally we've misjudged it and returned to the stage when the audience are practically in the bar (so they think we're divas). We just can't seem to get it right.

The key problem is that no-one wants to go on stage to failing applause, or have it die out whilst you're leaving the stage. I don't know if you've ever been in a long line waiting to get into the wings (say in a musical) but if you're left on stage when the clapping stops it feels like your bloody arse is on fire.

At least we're reasonably well-behaved at our curtain call. I was watching a production at Theatr Clwyd last year when one of the lead actors straightened from a bow, winked at a friend in the audience, made an inquiring "drinkie?" gesture and then "shot" him with finger-and-thumb guns. Unbelievable.

3 comments:

Vespertina Quies said...

No posts for eight days? Good God, man, your readers are desperate!

Steve Dineen said...

Shhhh. My laptop's packed up and we're packing for the move. No time!!! What did I do before mobile broadband?

Vespertina Quies said...

I always find it disconcerting when you comment on my comments, 'cause I forget to check back. But this time I remembered. I hope the move went well. Do you have to go right back on tour now? Wait...have you moved at all? God, I'm confused. When can I skype you?