Tuesday 6 May 2008

Casualty

At the show opening in Musselburgh I'm not feeling 100%, and I can't join in the pre-show light-heartedness. To be honest, I just want to get on with it and get it done, and I never feel like that normally. So something's wrong, I know from the start.
After the interval, though, my chest pains worsen and I'm in a very uncomfortable situation. I can't warn anyone that I'm unwell, yet it's not bad enough to take serious action. It is, though, affecting my performance and I really seem to be having trouble getting my breath. The supreme irony is that outwardly, the reality of what's happening is very similar to what happens to Laurence - I'm zoning out, not communicating and not responding, so I know no-one's noticed anything, not even the cast.
However, my one opportunity to communicate comes when I dance with Anna (Sue), and I take it - "I'm not feeling so great" I whisper, "Do you feel well enough to carry on?" she answers, subconsciously holding me tighter and supporting me, "Yes, I think so" I say. And it's done. She knows, and if it gets worse she'll realise.
The next few minutes are a bit of a blur. I say all the lines, go through the blocking and just try to finish it. I remember worrying about screaming at Beverly - will this make things worse? - so I ease off the throttle. But the heart attack can't be done in half measures so I go for it, full pelt, and after I keel over onto my back - that's when the numbness starts.

No comments: